Red rice is one of the most typical dishes of Mexican gastronomy. It is very common to use it as a garnish for meat or fish dishes, especially when they are prepared in sauces and stews. In addition, red rice is usually accompanied by guacamole or vegetables, as well as being used to fill red rice croquettes.
It is important to prepare red rice correctly. Otherwise, you risk it being hard or too soft, as well as losing flavor or sticking during cooking. A very important factor when preparing it is to cook it with just the right amount of water so that it is neither watered down nor dry. This time, we tell you all the secrets to prepare a perfect red rice recipe, so stay with us and discover how to make red rice step by step.
Red rice recipe
Unlike the most common rice recipes, Mexican red rice stands out for its aromas and its delicious use of vegetables and serrano peppers. As with many recipes of Mexican origin, red rice is a little spicy, so pay attention to the level of spiciness you want your dish to have.
We can do it in a clay pot, but since not everyone has one in their kitchen, we are going to prepare our Mexican red rice in a deep pot, preferably non-stick. Beyond this, the ingredients in this recipe are very easy to find, so keep reading and let’s start cooking.
Ingredients of Mexican red rice recipe
- 1 cup of white rice
- 1 dash of vegetable oil
- 1 garlic
- 1 medium onion
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 cup peas
- 1 carrot
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 2 serrano peppers
- Pour a good stream of oil into the pot and heat without burning.
- With the oil hot and over medium heat, add the rice and fry it, stirring occasionally with a wooden instrument to avoid damaging the saucepan. Sauté the rice for 5-6 minutes, moving it to avoid sticking until you see it lightly brown.
- While the rice is browning, peel and chop the garlic, onion, carrot, and chilies.
- When the rice begins to brown, add the chopped vegetables with the corn kernels and the shelled peas. Give a touch of salt.
- Stir for 2-3 minutes so that the vegetables are skipped next to the rice and the flavors are impregnated.
- Besides, prepare peeled and cut tomatoes with the chopped onion and garlic. Add salt and pepper to taste, add a tablespoon of oil and pass the mixture through the mixer until you get a not very thick puree.
- Add the puree to the pan, stirring gently until you feel it boil.
- Add hot water, preferably boiling so that the rice does not lose temperature: the amount of water to add is 2 parts of water for each cup of rice.
- Keep the mixture on the boil over good heat for about 1 minute.
- Cover the pan and lower the heat to almost the minimum.
- Let simmer for 15 to 30 minutes. This depends on the amount of rice, the more rice, the more time it takes to cook evenly.
- Turn off the heat and let it rest 5 minutes before serving so that the rice absorbs the rest of the water.
Fluffy red rice
As always happens in the kitchen, it is not necessary just to know the recipe, but we must also know all the possible tricks to obtain an unforgettable dish. This is, above all, the case of traditional cooking recipes. If you want to know how to make a perfect red rice, keep these tips in mind:
- Wash the rice to remove the starch dust. For this you can use a strainer, in which you must pour the rice and wash it well with cold tap water. This will prevent the rice from sticking.
- Once washed and rinsed, place it in a container and cover it with water. Let it sit for 15 minutes. With this step you will achieve a fluffy red rice.
- Drain the rice well and dry it with an absorbent paper. Excess water must be removed.
- It is usually made with round rice, but if you want to give it a more exotic touch, try doing it with bahsmati rice.
- There are more vegetables that can be added to Mexican red rice, for example: red pepper, green pepper, yellow pepper or parsley.
- Lift the lid off every now and then to make sure the water doesn’t completely disappear or it will burn. If it stays dry, just add a little hot water around the edges of the pan.
- If it has been done correctly, the rice should be tasty without the need for more additives, but if you like food with a lot of flavor, before adding the water you can dilute one or two chicken broth tablets in it.
- After adding the water, it is advisable to test it in case the point of salt needs to be rectified.
Some people do it using granulated garlic powder or canned vegetables. Our advice is to use fresh natural products and if, in addition, they are products from the garden, you can boast a tasty organic red rice recipe.
You may like also to read https://giantchatter.co.uk/