Croquettes are one of those typical dishes that appeal to both children and adults. They can be made with all kinds of fillings, such as ham, chicken, cheese, meat, vegetables, octopus, chorizo, among other options. Although in most cases it is a salty snack, it can also be enjoyed in sweet presentations based on rice pudding, banana or yoghurt.
If you plan to make homemade croquettes, you should know that the batter is one of the most important stages of its preparation. A good batter will ensure that the croquettes do not break and are crisp. To coat them, you can choose to make them with or without eggs or with and without flour. In this article, we present regular kibble recipe so you know how to batter croquettes successfully.
Regular kibble recipe
Croquettes are part of the starter menu of almost any restaurant, but you can also make them at home for all your guests to enjoy. If you want to make some delicious homemade croquettes.
Now, one of the keys to any worthy kibble is the batter. Once you have the croquettes formed and ready to coat, follow the steps detailed below so that you know how to coat the croquettes so that they do not break and are crisp:
- Leave the croquettes already formed on a tray and put it in the refrigerator until they cool. The cold will help them not break during the batter.
- Mix the eggs in a bowl until the white and yolk are completely integrated. There should be no lumps of the yolk.
- Pass the croquettes through wheat flour or very fine breadcrumbs.
- Dip the croquettes in the egg until well covered.
- Pass the croquettes through the breadcrumbs once more. If you want them to be extra crispy, use a thicker breadcrumb than the one you used the first time.
- Let them rest for 10-15 minutes so that the breadcrumbs adhere properly before frying.
Batter eggless croquettes
The egg is an important ingredient to coat the croquettes since it helps flour, bread or any other breadcrumb ingredient to adhere without problems. However, if you want to make vegan croquettes or cannot consume egg, this ingredient can be substituted in many ways.
You can, for example, make the croquettes without coating them. Believe it or not, the croquettes will be delicious without the need to put an egg or any other ingredient for their breading. This is because the food in question is sticky enough, so you won’t need anything else. Keep in mind that the texture of the croquettes will be different, although they are delicious.
Also, you can pass them through bread or flour without dipping them in the egg at first. You must be clear that it will not have the same texture, but they will also be crispy.
Another option to coat the homemade croquettes is to pass them through cow’s milk or orange or lemon juice. Then you can add the flour or breadcrumbs. In this way, the kibble will be shiny and ready for coating.
The croquettes will also taste good if you just run them through the liquid ingredient and skip the flour or breadcrumbs. These alternatives are usually used, especially when the croquettes are baked and not fried.
Another way to replace the egg is to mix a little water and flour in a bowl. To make this mixture, you can go to any type of flour, one of the most used is chickpea. This must have a texture similar to that of the beaten egg so that the croquette can be compact.
Batter kibbles without breadcrumbs
Breadcrumbs help keep the kibble crispy, but if you don’t have breadcrumbs on hand or are intolerant, you can substitute other ingredients like wheat flour, cornmeal, cornflakes, or cornstarch. To coat the croquettes without breadcrumbs, consider these steps:
- Dip the croquettes in a little egg.
- Pass them through wheat flour, cornflour, or cornstarch. If you use flakes, it will be necessary to crush them with the help of mortar or crusher.
- Fry them in hot oil and you will see the results.
You may like also to read https://dojigger.co.uk/