Seniors are turning to meal delivery services for their nutritional needs in either home deliver, nursing home or assisted living facility food providers. These meal delivery services provide frozen meals that require no cooking or additional food preparation to eat. With a food service management company, seniors can choose from a wide variety of nutritious, delicious meals that are delivered daily. Many senior meal and food services management companies even provide daily snacks and beverages as well, giving seniors the option of three main meals per day or allowing them the flexibility to prepare their own breakfast or lunch if they wish.
Every day we make choices about the food we eat. Unfortunately, enjoying a healthy diet is becoming more and more of challenge for seniors and many people with disabilities. The reasons are pretty simple: there’s less time and less energy for meal planning and preparation. We all know it’s important to eat well, but without help or a little planning; it can be hard to make good choices on a daily basis.
Cafeteria services for seniors are not only convenient, but they can help improve your health, too. Here are three benefits of using a food service management company for senior meals:
Meal delivery services for seniors employ staff members who are trained in food preparation and safety. They are also required to have their background checked before they’re hired, allowing you to rest easy knowing that your meals will be prepared by people who are trustworthy. An added benefit is the assurance of employment that this ensures for individuals with disabilities or other special needs.
Better Nutrition in Food and Meals
When you have the option of choosing from a wide selection of meals, it’s easier to meet your nutritional needs. A meal service for seniors will provide nutritious options that are low in salt, sugar and fat content. This ensures that you’re taking in adequate amounts of protein, vitamins and minerals with each meal. Many meal delivery services also have a registered dietitian that can provide you with a nutritional plan, complete with recipes and meal ideas.
More Menu Options
Many seniors need to watch their portion sizes, and the number of calories they intake each day. Meal delivery services for seniors offer a range of meal options that can be customized to your particular diet and nutritional needs, as well as the size of portion you prefer. In addition to having great food that tastes delicious, it’s also nice knowing that you’re in control of what you eat each day.
In fact, some meal companies allow seniors to order the exact number of meals they need for their particular needs. This can include a single meal each day, or two meals and one snack in between. If you have difficulty cooking, it’s nice to know that you have this option available to meet your individual dietary needs.
Here are some additional benefits of meal delivery services for seniors:
- Time: Meal delivery services remove the complicated and time-consuming task of meal planning and preparation. Seniors may find this extra time to do other things, such as spending time with friends or family, going to doctor appointments or getting other necessary errands done.
- Convenience: Meal delivery services allow seniors and their loved ones the freedom and independence they deserve. Seniors can focus on improving their quality of life without worrying about meal preparation, and it helps give peace of mind to caregivers who can enjoy quality time with their loved ones knowing the nutritional needs are being met.
- Affordable: The average cost of a meal service is $6 to $10 per day, which may be significantly less than paying for restaurant meals or other prepared food options like drive-thru’s and vending machines. Plus, many meal delivery services also provide special senior-friendly discounts and free meals on major holidays.
- Meals that can be prepared in minutes with no cooking, boiling or frying involved. This makes it easier for older adults who might lack the strength to cook complicated recipes or break down whole foods.
- A variety of options so seniors can choose the types of meals they want to eat, like organic or diabetic-friendly. Seniors can also choose between hot and cold items each day if they prefer.
- Most meal delivery services provide healthy food options with no artificial flavors, colors or preservatives. Many meal delivery options are created by professional chefs and dietitians who understand the nutritional needs of seniors and go the extra mile to create healthy, appetizing meals.
If a senior loved one needs a little extra help eating well and staying active, there are several different options available. In-home care is often the best choice because it gives family members peace of mind knowing that their loved one is being cared for in a familiar, comfortable environment. Unfortunately, in-home care can be expensive and may not be covered by insurance or other forms of payment. Furthermore, it’s often difficult for family members to provide the level of care they want, which can lead to neglect or poor quality of life.
Fortunately, there are other options available that allow seniors to age in place while receiving the type of nutrition and support needed to live life on their own terms. These include nutritional meal deliveries, transportation services and caregiver support services. Meal delivery services for seniors offer a range of meal options that can be customized to your particular diet and nutritional needs, as well as the size of portion you prefer. In addition to having great food that tastes delicious, it’s also nice knowing that you’re in control of what you eat each day.
In fact, many of these services provide more than just food. Some also offer support and companionship, as well as pharmaceutical supplies such as eyeglasses or prescriptions. Transportation can be arranged so seniors can get out and about on the days they don’t feel up to cooking, and caregivers are available if needed for a little extra support. Best of all, most meal delivery services are affordable even on a fixed income. Plus, they’re tax deductible when billed to Medicare or Medicaid, making them an attractive option for any budget.
If you need help shopping for the right service for your loved one, Walker Farms can help match you with the perfect option that fits within your budget and keeps your loved one in control of their own meal choices. We can also help you sign up for a free trial to see how it works! If you’re looking for a way to improve your loved one’s health through meal options, consider working with a meal service management company for senior meals. Not only will your loved one benefit from the convenience of daily meals prepared for them, but they’ll also enjoy more calories and better nutrition.