The homemade onion dip is a delicious appetizer for the palate with which you can accompany a wide variety of dishes and snacks. This simple recipe consists of preparing a special sauce based on the fried onion ideal if you are looking for a good dip for snacks, be it nachos, breadsticks, crackers, etc.
The preparation of this onion dip, or onion dressing, has many variants since it is a very flexible recipe that each person can modify to taste. In the following article, we explain how to make onion dip at home following a few simple steps … let’s get to work and enjoy!
How to make onion dip?
- 1 large onion
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream
- 1 tablespoon of chopped parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Olive oil
- Salt to taste)
- Pepper (to taste)
- A glass bowl or container
To learn how to make an onion dip, the first step will be to fry this bulb. Cut the onion into cubes or slices, put the pieces in the pan with a little olive oil and stir so that the onion does not stick. When it has been well browned, turn off the heat and wait a few minutes for it to cool.
In a separate container, add the fried onion (already cold) along with the sour cream and the rest of the ingredients. Salt and pepper will also go to taste, but we recommend starting with a pinch. Don’t worry. Later you can taste the sauce yourself before serving it to see if it is missing an ingredient.
With the help of a blender or mixer, mix all the ingredients well until you get a more or less solid paste. Once you have achieved a homogeneous mixture, pour the result into a container with a lid and let it cool in the refrigerator for 1 or 2 hours before serving.
If you are looking for a dip for various snacks or, more specifically, a dip for Sabritas (as it is the most popular combination), this recipe will appeal to both the little ones and the old. It is a tasty companion for any snack that cannot be missing in your kitchen when guests come.
However, if you are looking for an onion dip for Sabritas or other snacks that is a bit more elaborate, you may want to pay attention to the following options.
To make an onion dip with cream cheese, for example, you will have to mix a cup of cream cheese with a cup of heavy cream until both ingredients are well integrated. Next, add the mixture in the blender along with two tablespoons of ground onion and bell pepper and salt to taste.
And if you’re wondering how to make caramelized onion dip, take note:
- In a pan with 50g of butter, sauté two medium onions together with two cloves of garlic over low heat. Put a lid on top until it turns a good golden color (you can add a little sugar to give it a sweeter flavor).
- Add half a cup of water and stir over low heat.
- Add a chicken (or vegetable) stock cube, pepper and salt to taste.
- In a separate bowl, mix 100g of cream cheese and 400g of liquid cream until the ingredients are fully integrated.
- Finally, and with the help of a blender, mix all the ingredients well until the desired sauce is obtained. Let the sauce cool in the fridge for a few hours before serving!
Everyone can taste this delicious side dish, we will teach you how to make vegan onion dip. Let’s go there:
- In a pan with hot oil, add 2 onions, a tablespoon of panela (optional) and a little white wine. Cook over high heat until the wine evaporates.
- Add 200g approx. Vegan cream cheese (you can find it in specialized stores) and mix together with the onion until both ingredients are well integrated.
- Next, do the same with the vegan sour cream (about a cup) and stir well in the pan. Add a teaspoon of soy sauce and pepper to taste.
- Once the mixture has thickened, serve hot to taste with the snack you want. Your palate will water!
The different recipes for the onion dip or dressing are usually made to suit each person, but keep in mind that the sauce must be thick enough to dip with any snack, such as Sabritas chips or nachos.
The onion dip can be served cold or, as we have seen before, hot. This recipe is ideal for enjoying with a salad and red wine on hot days or on a night out with friends.
In some onion dip recipes, mayonnaise is used, although if your option is lighter, you can simply use the sour cream. The onion dip can be kept in the fridge for several days and we recommend preparing it a day in advance so that the flavors settle. You can incorporate into this recipe any type of aromatic herbs, hot spices or any other ingredient of your liking that gives it a unique flavor to your liking.