Do you have some ripe bananas that you don’t want to waste? Take the opportunity to prepare this simple and delicious banana fritters recipe. Buñuelos are a very exquisite fried dessert and belong to the culinary tradition of many families around the world. For this reason, they are present at breakfasts, snacks, and even on traditional holidays such as Christmas, Easter, All Saints’ Day or San José.
There is a wide variety of donut recipes, such as yucca or chocolate donuts . Among the most popular is the recipe for banana-based fritters. These have a peculiar flavor and a very appetizing pronounced sweetness. It is customary to eat them with vanilla ice cream or accompanied by hot drinks, such as coffee, chocolate, atole, champurrada, etc. How about we make these banana fritters now?
Discover how to make banana fritters in a simple and fast way. In this article we explain the recipe step by step, in addition to providing many useful tricks to make your work easier.
Banana fritters recipe ingredients:
- 100 grams of wheat flour
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 medium egg
- 80 ml whole milk
- 1 large ripe banana (200 grams)
- 1 tbsp chemical yeast (baking powder)
- 1 pinch of cinnamon
- 1 pinch of salt
- Abundant frying oil
Sift the flour. Although it is not a mandatory step, it is highly advisable, as this way you remove lumps. Although we recommend preparing the recipe with all-purpose wheat flour, you can also make your banana fritters with self-rising flour, keeping the amounts of the recipe.
Peel and mash the bananas. Help yourself with a fork to form a consistent puree.
Beat the egg in a bowl. Do this until you get a whitish color.
Add the sugar, baking powder, a pinch of salt and ground cinnamon. Stir all the ingredients until they are well integrated to get fluffy banana fritters .
Add the mashed banana. Mix again.
Add the sifted flour interspersed with the milk. Stir with the manual stirrer until you get a dough with a homogeneous and thick texture.
Although it is not highly recommended because the dough will lose consistency, you can also prepare your fritters without milk . You can replace it with water infused with cinnamon and lemon peel that you will have to heat over high heat. Then, you just have to integrate it with the sugar and butter to form a thick dough. The rest of the steps will be the same as this recipe for banana fritters.
Heat a skillet over medium heat, and then add plenty of oil. Also, wait for the oil to heat up, but not smoke. Optionally, you can also prepare your baked banana fritters to get a lighter version of the dessert. Simply paint the dough balls with egg and bake at 180ºC for about 15 minutes.
For your fried banana fritters, place a portion of dough in the boiling oil, helping you with two spoons. One spoon will serve to hold the liquid and the other to push it over the pan. Add several servings, but not too many at a time, otherwise the oil will cool. Depending on the size of the pan and the amount of batter, you can add between 4-6 fritters. You will have these banana fritters ready in two or three batches.
Fry them by turning them several times during the process. The idea is that they are golden everywhere. Remember, as you cook the banana fritters, help yourself with a spoon to bathe them with the same cooking oil on the face that is uncovered.
If there are bits of fried dough left in the oil, remove them before adding the next batch. Try to keep the oil clean, as this way the presentation will be better. If not, as you fry the next few pieces, those giblets will stick to your sweet banana fritters.
Place them on absorbent paper. Even better if you put them in a strainer lined with double layers of paper. This way, easy banana fritters will drain off excess fat better.
Serve the dessert. Although the fritters can be enjoyed hot or cold, it is recommended to consume them warm, as they are crunchier. Additionally, if you feel like it, you can bathe them with any type of honey (the traditional one is piloncillo honey), sprinkle them with sugar (be it granulated or powdered), sugar with cinnamon or cocoa powder. All while your easy banana fritters are still piping hot!
If you wish, you can refrigerate the banana fritters. Wrap them in plastic wrap or absorbent paper and store in a resealable bag or airtight container. They will keep well for a maximum of 3 days.
Another way to prepare banana fritters can be to cut the bananas into thick slices instead of mashing them and mixing them with the batter. From there, soak them in that preparation and then fry them, they are delicious!
You can also try preparing apple and banana fritters , to incorporate the flavor of more fruits. Or also, if you prefer to turn your recipe into a sweet tooth, you can prepare the banana and dulce de leche fritters , which will give it an incredible flavor.
- Focus your efforts on the mass. Mix enough until there are no lumps and the preparation is smooth. Also, take care that the proportions are as exact as possible. Finally, prepare the dough on the spot, because the fresher it is, the better the final product will be.
- Avoid adding too much sugar in the preparation. Respect the instructions in the recipe, as exceeding the proportions of this ingredient will over-soften the banana fritters. Also, you can cause them to explode during cooking.
- Add just the right amount of baking powder. If you overdo it, the fritters will cook faster, and they can burn on the outside and be raw on the inside. To make matters worse, they also absorb more fat. On the other hand, if you use the baking powder properly, the banana fritters are bigger and fluffier.
- If you replace the baking soda with baking powder. Add it last and quickly fry the banana fritters.
- Divide the dough into equal or similar portions. Try that each donut weighs between 70-75 grams.
- Use enough oil and a large, deep skillet. The idea is to make it easier for the fritters to float while cooking, as the batter should never touch the bottom of the pan or cauldron.
- Regulates the oil temperature. If you heat it too much, the fritters tend to explode. On the contrary, if you use very cold oil, the fritters will be soft and very greasy. For this reason, if you want to find the ideal point, add a piece of dough in the oil; if it floats and does not burst, it is ready. Another way to check the temperature is to dip a wooden toothpick in the oil; if it bubbles a lot around the toothpick, you’re done
- Take out the fritters at the right time. Take a good look at them and, if you notice that they no longer rotate, that they show a golden color and that, when you pass them the slotted spoon, they feel consistent, then you can remove them.